Dog-I-Y: Easy Homemade Sweet Potato Pretzel Dog Treats
Editor’s Note: I’ve asked a few of my favorite bloggers to fill in while we make our way to Portland, OR! Please give them a warm, tail-wagging welcome!
Hi, I’m Serena from Pretty Fluffy and am super excited to be sharing one of my favourite recipes on Dog Milk today. With the seasons changing, now is the best time for a tasty fall dog treat that your dog will love. Look no further than our simple and healthy Sweet Potato Pretzels!
SWEET POTATO PRETZELS
- 200g Sweet Potato
- 1 and ¾ Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 Tablespoon Flaxseed Meal
- 1 Free Range Egg (Beaten)
* For dogs with allergies to whole wheat flour, try almond or coconut flour.
Preheat oven to 175 Degrees Celsius. Line a flat baking tray with baking paper.
1. Peel and dice sweet potato into cubes and bring to boil in saucepan of water.
2. Drain sweet potato and allow to cool. Puree in food processor.
3. Combine flour and flaxseed in a large bowl.
4. Beat egg and set aside a small amount (approx. 1 Tablespoon) for later.
5. Add sweet potato puree, and remaining beaten egg to dry ingredients. Mix with a wooden spoon until the mixture forms a dough.
6. Take a bit sized piece of dough and roll into a 10 inch tube (about the thickness of a pencil).
7. Take each tube and make into a U shape, twist the ends together and fold back to form the Pretzel shape. Ensure the ends of the pretzel are tucked under and secured.
8. Place the pretzels onto the lined baking tray. Using pastry brush, brush the remaining beaten egg lightly on top of the pretzels. Place in the oven.
9. Bake Pretzels for 25 minutes or until golden brown. Cool and serve.
Makes approximately 20 Pretzels.
Serena Faber Nelson is the editor of the dog loving website – Pretty Fluffy – your ultimate resource for stylish pet friendly living, and the author of the dog treat recipe book ’52 Weeks of Treats – Simple & Healthy Dog Treat Recipes for Every Season’. She lives in Sydney with her 12 year old Border Collie Soda.