I received an email from Serena at Pretty Fluffy yesterday inviting me to take part in a new endeavor she launched recently called The 13 Project. The idea behind this incredible, world-wide initiative? Help animals in whatever small way you can. What? Help animals? I am SO on board!
With only 13 weeks left in 2012 (that’s insane, P.S.), the aim of The 13 Project is to encourage people to commit to performing (up to) 13 acts of kindness towards animals. That could be anything from volunteering to help at a local rescue for a few hours, sharing adoptable dogs on Facebook, or donating to an animal charity or rescue group. No act is too small and the more that take part in The 13 Project, the more these small acts add up.
To join, all you have to do is come up with a list of ways you can help animals before the end of 2013. You don?t need to be a millionaire, you don?t need to have a website, or be a member of a rescue organization. All you need is the desire to make a difference. If you?re time poor, make your list just one goal ? or 3 or 5 things. Simple, right?
To kick things off, I’m sharing my list of goals. I hope you’ll join me and do the same!
1. “Like” and share adoptable dogs on Facebook — I do this already, my friends can attest.
2. Gather gently used towels and blankets from friends and family to donate to local shelters.
3. Volunteer to walk the dogs at my city animal shelter.
4. Share information about local adoption events on Facebook.
5. Make and donate recycled t-shirt tug toys.
6. Buy some Rescue Chocolate — Hat tip to Tonya Schabacker for bringing this tasty treat to my attention! 100% of the net profits from each chocolate bar sold are donated to rescue groups across the U.S.. How awesome is that?!
8. Volunteer to help during an upcoming local adoption event.
10. Donate a few items on the Friends of Animals wishlist.
11. Make fleece blankets and donate them to a local rescue or shelter.
12. Sign up for BarkBox, a subscription service that donates 10% of all proceeds to shelters and rescues.
Be sure to check out Pretty Fluffy for more ideas as well as a roundup of all the other blogs and sites participating in The 13 Project — their lists are inspiring!